Personal Care Assistance Program (PCA)
NILP’s Personal Care Assistance Program (PCA) is an integral support program for thousands of people living with disabilities who need assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, eating, or dressing. PCA services make it possible for consumers to remain living in their homes with personal care help as opposed to hospitals or nursing homes.
The PCA program is a consumer controlled program, allowing the person receiving the services to manage their program independently, or with the assistance of a surrogate of their choice.
Who is Eligible for a Personal Care Assistant?
Applicants are eligible with the following qualifications:
- Have MassHealth Standard or CommonHealth
- Have a permanent or chronic disability
- Require physical assistance with two or more Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) such as eating, dressing, grooming, medication administration, or passive range of motion.
Who Can Be My PCA?
- Anyone who’s at least 18 years of age
- Legally able to work in the United States
- Someone who is NOT your Legal Guardian, Spouse or PCA Surrogate
- You can hire family members to be your PCA. However, anyone who works as your PCA must treat their employment seriously and understand the purpose of the program is to ensure your personal needs are being met.
How do I get a PCA?
- You can refer yourself or someone else may refer you such as family members, doctors and other providers.
- All potential consumers are screened for eligibility.
- If eligible, we will call you to set up an intake home assessment
- Our Nurses and Occupational Therapists will evaluate you to determine how much help you need
- Our PCA Skills Specialists will provide you and/or your surrogate with Orientation and Skills Training to help you learn about the PCA Program
- The total process from start to finish, if eligible, takes about six to eight weeks
NILP's Coverage Area
Acton, Amesbury, Andover, Ayer, Bedford, Berlin, Beverly, Billerica, Bolton, Boxborough, Boxford, Boylston, Burlington, Byfield, Chelmsford, Clinton, Danvers, Devens, Dracut, Dunstable, Essex, Fitchburg, Georgetown, Gloucester, Groton, Groveland, Harvard, Haverhill, Ipswich, Lancaster, Lawrence, Leominster, Littleton, Lowell, Lunenburg, Lynn, Lynnfield, Malden, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Marblehead, Medford, Merrimac, Methuen, Middleton, Nahant, Newbury, Newburyport, North Andover, North Reading, Peabody, Pepperell, Reading, Rockport, Rowley, Salem, Salisbury, Saugus, Shirley, Sterling, Stoneham, Swampscott, Tewksbury, Topsfield, Tyngsboro, Wakefield, Waltham, Wenham, West Boylston, West Newbury, Westford, Wilmington, Woburn